Publications and Presentations
Articles with Author or Co-author from I-TECH
Reyes EM, Sharma A, Thomas KK, Kuehn C, Morales JR. Development of a technical assistance framework for building organizational capacity of health programs in resource-limited settings. BMC Health Serv Res. 2014 Sep 17;14(1):399. doi: 10.1186/1472-6963-14-399. (Epub ahead of print.)
Little information exists on the technical assistance needs of local indigenous organizations charged with managing HIV care and treatment programs funded by the US President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR). This paper describes the methods used to adapt the Primary Care Assessment Tool (PCAT) framework, which has successfully strengthened HIV primary care services in the US, into one that could strengthen the capacity of local partners to deliver priority health programs in resource-constrained settings by identifying their specific technical assistance needs.
additional publications, 2013-2014
Ledikwe JH, Nyanga RO, Hagon J, Grignon JS, Mpofu M, Semo BW. Scaling-up voluntary medical male circumcision-what have we learned? HIV AIDS (Auckl). 2014 Oct 8;6:139-46. doi: 10.2147/HIV.S65354. eCollection 2014.
Mpofu M, Semo BW, Grignon J, Lebelonyane R, Ludick S, Matshediso E, Sento B, Ledikwe JH. Strengthening monitoring and evaluation (M&E) and building sustainable health information systems in resource limited countries: lessons learned from an M&E task-shifting initiative in Botswana. BMC Public Health. 2014 Oct 3;14(1):1032. doi: 10.1186/1471-2458-14-1032.
Kasvosve l, Ledikwe JH, Phumaphi O, Mpofu M, Nyangah R, Motswaledi MS, Martin R, Semo B. Continuing professional development training needs of medical laboratory personnel in Botswana. Hum Resour Health. 2014 Aug 18;12(1):46. doi: 10.1186/1478-4491-12-46.
Puttkammer NH, Zeliadt SB, Balan JG, Baseman JG, Destiné R, Domerçant JW, Duvilaire JM, Raphael NA, Sherr K, Yuhas K, Barnhart S. Before and after the earthquake: a case study of attrition from the HIV antiretroviral therapy program in Haiti. Glob Health Action. 2014 Aug 5;7:24572. doi: 10.3402/gha.v7.24572. eCollection 2014.
Feldacker C, Chicumbe S, Dgedge M, Augusto G, Cesar F, Robertson M, Mbofana F, O'Malley G. Mid-level healthcare personnel training: An evaluation of the revised, nationally-standardized, pre-service curriculum for Clinical Officers in Mozambique. PLoS One. 2014 Jul 28;9(7):e102588. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0102588. eCollection 2014.
Lippman SA, Treves-Kagan S, Gilvydis JM, Naidoo E, Khumalo-Sakutukwa G, Darbes L, Raphela E, Ntswane L, Barnhart S. Informing Comprehensive HIV Prevention: A Situational Analysis of the HIV Prevention and Care Context, North West Province South Africa. PLoS One. 2014 Jul 16;9(7):e102904. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0102904. eCollection 2014.
Grignon JS, Ledikwe JH, Makati D, Nyangah R, Sento BW, Semo BW. Maximizing the benefit of health workforce secondment in Botswana: an approach for strengthening health systems in resource-limited settings. Risk Manag Healthc Policy. 2014 May 16;7:91-8. doi: 10.2147/RMHP.S61473. eCollection 2014.
Daniels J, Farquhar C, Nathanson N, Mashalla Y, Petracca F, Desmond M, Green W, Davies L, O'Malley G. Training tomorrow’s global health leaders: applying a transtheoretical model to identify behavior change stages within an intervention for health leadership development. Glob Health Promot. 2014 Apr 24. [Epub ahead of print].
Magowe MK, Ledikwe JH, Kasvosve I, Martin R, Thankane K, Semo BW. An innovative educational approach to develop medical laboratory scientists in Botswana. Adv Med Educ Pract. 2014 Apr 11;5:73-81. doi: 10.2147/AMEP.S58447. eCollection 2014.
O'Malley G, Asrat L, Sharma A, Hamunime N, Stephanus Y, Brandt L, et al.(2014) Nurse Task Shifting for Antiretroviral Treatment Services in Namibia: Implementation Research to Move Evidence into Action. PLoS ONE, 2014 Mar 18;9(3). doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0092014. eCollection 2014.
Shalihu N, Pretorius L, van Dyk A, Vander Stoep A, Hagopian A. Namibian prisoners describe barriers to HIV antiretroviral therapy adherence. AIDS Care. 2014;26(8):968-75. doi: 10.1080/09540121.2014.880398. Epub 2014 Feb 6.
- Barnhart S, Hagopian A. Country ownership requires public sector health system strengthening. Lancet Global Health. 2014 Jan;2(1).
- Ledikwe JH, Grignon J, Lebelonyane R, Ludick S, Matshediso E, Sento B, Sharma A, Semo, B. Improving the quality of health information: a qualitative assessment of data management and reporting systems in Botswana. Health Res Policy Syst. 2014 Jan 30;12(1):7. doi: 10.1186/1478-4505-12-7.
- Mahajan D, Ottilingam KR, Gurusamy M, Chokkalingam C. Barriers, facilitators and socio-demographic characteristics associated with condom usage amongst male HIV Integrated Counselling and Testing Centre attendees at the Government Hospital of Thoracic Medicine, and HIV tertiary care centre in Chennai. Ind J Community Health;2013;25(2):138-44.
- Sharma A, Chiliade P, Reyes EM, Thomas KK, Collens SR, Morales JR. Building a sustainable organizational capacity to deliver HIV programs in resource-constrained settings: stakeholder perspectives. Glob Health Action. 2013 Dec 13;6:22571.
- Haddad L, Cwiak C, Jamieson D, Feldacker C, Tweya H, Hosseinipour M, Hoffman I, Bryant AG, Stuart GS, Noah I, Mulundila L, Samala B, Mayne P, Phiri S. Contraceptive adherence among HIV-infected women in Malawi: a randomized controlled trial of the copper intrauterine device and depot medroxyprogesterone acetate. Contraception. 2013 Dec;88(6):737-43. doi: 10.1016/j.contraception.2013.08.006. Epub 2013 Aug 23.
- O’Malley G, Perdue T and Petracca F. A framework for outcome-level evaluation of in-service training of health care workers. Hum Resour Health. 2013 Oct 1, 11:50. doi: 10.1186/1478-4491-11-50.
- Tweya H, Feldacker C, Estill J, Jahn A, Ng’ambi W, Ben-Smith A, Keiser O. Bokosi M, Egger M, Speight C, Gumulira J, Phiri S. Are They Really Lost? “True” Status and Reasons for Treatment Discontinuation among HIV Infected Patients on Antiretroviral Therapy Considered Lost to Follow Up in Urban Malawi.PLoS One. 2013 Sept 26; 8(9):e75761. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0075761. eCollection 2013.
- Farsani TT, Kore S, Nadol P, Ramam M, Thierman S, Leslie K, Chandrasekar C, Sikhamani R, Manoharan G, Kubba A, Maurer T. Etiology and risk factors associated with a pruritic papular eruption in people living with HIV in India. J Int AIDS Soc. 2013 Sep 3;16(1):17325. doi: 10.7448/IAS.16.1.17325.
- Raja K, Chandrasekar C, Krishnarajasekhar OR, Manoharan G. Zero CD4 count: A case of discordant CD4 response in a patient with well suppressed viral load. Indian J Med Microbiol. 2013 Jul-Sep;31(3):298-302. doi: 10.4103/0255-0857.115658.
- Ledikwe JH, Reason LL, Burnett SM, Busang L, Bodika S, Lebelonyane R, Ludick S, Matshediso E, Mawandia S, Mmelesi M, Sento B, Semo B. Establishing a health information workforce: Innovation for low and middle income countries. Hum Resour Health. 2013 Jul 18;11(1).
- O'Malley G, Marseille E, Weaver MR. Cost-effectiveness analyses of training: a manager's guide. Hum Resour Health. 2013 May 20;11(1):20. doi: 10.1186/1478-4491-11-20.
- Solomon S, Balakrishnan P, Vignesh R, Waldrop G, Solomon SS, Murugavel KG, Kumarasamy N, Yepthomi T, Poongulali S, Swathirajan CR, Sreenivasan V, Chandrasekar C, Suriakumar J, Mahilmaran A, Manoharan G, Moore DA. A rapid and low-cost microscopic observation drug susceptibility assay for detecting TB and MDR-TB among individuals infected by HIV in South India. Indian J Med Microbiol. 2013 Apr-Jun;31(2):130-7. doi: 10.4103/0255-0857.115225.
- Chimbwandira F, Mhango E, Makombe S, Midiani D, Mwansambo C, Njala J, Chirwa Z, Jahn A, Schouten E, Phelps B.R, Gieselman A, Holmes C, Maida A, Gupta S, Tippett Barr B.A, Modi S, Dale H, Aberle-Grasse J, Davis M, Bell D, Houston J. Impact of an Innovative Approach to Prevent Mother-to-Child Transmission of HIV-Malawi, July 2011-September 2012. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2013 Mar 1:62(8):148-51.
- Ledikwe JH, Kejelepula M, Maupo K, Sebetso S, Thekiso M, Smith M, Mbayi B, Houghton N, Thankane K, O’Malley G, Semo B. Evaluation of a well-established task-shifting initiative: the lay counselor cadre in Botswana. PLoS One. 2013 Apr 9;8(4):e61601. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0061601. Print 2013.
- Tweya H, Feldacker C, Phiri S, Ben-Smith A, Fenner L, Jahn A, Kalulu M, Weigel R, Kamba C, Banda R, Egger M, Keiser O. Comparison of treatment outcomes of new smear-positive pulmonary tuberculosis patients by HIV and antiretroviral status in a TB/HIV clinic, Malawi. PLoS One. 2013;8(2):e56248. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0056248. Epub 2013 Feb 15.
- Tweya H, Feldacker C, Breeze E, Jahn A, Blake Haddad L, Ben-Smith A, Chaweza T and Phiri S. Incidence of Pregnancy Among Women Accessing Antiretroviral Therapy in Urban Malawi: A Retrospective Cohort Study. AIDS Behav. 2013 Feb; 17(2): 471-8. doi: 10.1007/s10461-012-0150-0.
- Johnson D, Feldacker C, Tweya H, Phiri S, Hosseinipour M. Factors associated with timely initiation of antiretroviral treatment in two HIV clinics in Lilongwe, Malawi. Int J STD AIDS. 2013 Jan;24(1):42-9. doi: 10.1177/0956462412472312. Epub 2013 May 6.
- MacLachlan E et al. "Evaluating the Effectiveness of Patient Education and Empowerment to Improve Patient-Provider Interactions at ART Clinics in Namibia." International AIDS Society Conference. July 20-25, 2014, Melbourne, Australia.
- O'Malley G et al. “'If I Take My Medicine, I Will Be Strong': Evaluation of an Innovative Pediatric HIV Disclosure Intervention in Namibia." International AIDS Society Conference. July 20-25, 2014, Melbourne, Australia.
- CUGH. May 10-12, 2014, Washington, D.C.
- "Roll-out of universal antiretroviral therapy for HIV-infected pregnant and breastfeeding women ('Option B+') in Malawi: factors influencing retention in care." 7th IAS Conference on HIV Pathogenesis, Treatment and Prevention. June 3-July 3, 2013, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Consortium of Universities for Global Health (CUGH). March 14-16, 2013, Washington, D.C.