Publications and Presentations
Articles with Author or Co-author from I-TECH
- O’Malley G, Perdue T and Petracca F. A framework for outcome-level evaluation of in-service training of health care workers. Hum Resour Health. 2013 Oct 1, 11:50. doi: 10.1186/1478-4491-11-50.
In-service training is a key strategic approach to addressing the severe shortage of health care workers in many countries. However, there is a lack of evidence linking these health care worker trainings to improved health outcomes. In response, the United States President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief’s Human Resources for Health Technical Working Group initiated a project to develop an outcome-focused training evaluation framework. This paper presents the methods and results of that project.
additional publications, 2013-2014
- Kasvosve l, Ledikwe JH, Phumaphi O, Mpofu M, Nyangah R, Motswaledi MS, Martin R, Semo B. Continuing professional development training needs of medical laboratory personnel in Botswana. Hum Resour Health. 2014 Aug 18;12(1):46. doi: 10.1186/1478-4491-12-46.
Puttkammer NH, Zeliadt SB, Balan JG, Baseman JG, Destiné R, Domerçant JW, Duvilaire JM, Raphael NA, Sherr K, Yuhas K, Barnhart S. Before and after the earthquake: a case study of attrition from the HIV antiretroviral therapy program in Haiti. Glob Health Action. 2014 Aug 5;7:24572. doi: 10.3402/gha.v7.24572. eCollection 2014.
Feldacker C, Chicumbe S, Dgedge M, Augusto G, Cesar F, Robertson M, Mbofana F, O'Malley G. Mid-level healthcare personnel training: An evaluation of the revised, nationally-standardized, pre-service curriculum for Clinical Officers in Mozambique. PLoS One. 2014 Jul 28;9(7):e102588. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0102588. eCollection 2014.
Grignon JS, Ledikwe JH, Makati D, Nyangah R, Sento BW, Semo BW. Maximizing the benefit of health workforce secondment in Botswana: an approach for strengthening health systems in resource-limited settings. Risk Manag Healthc Policy. 2014 May 16;7:91-8. doi: 10.2147/RMHP.S61473. eCollection 2014.
- Barnhart S, Hagopian A. Country ownership requires public sector health system strengthening. Lancet Global Health. 2014 Jan;2(1).
- Ledikwe JH, Grignon J, Lebelonyane R, Ludick S, Matshediso E, Sento B, Sharma A, Semo, B. Improving the quality of health information: a qualitative assessment of data management and reporting systems in Botswana. Health Res Policy Syst. 2014 Jan 30;12(1):7. doi: 10.1186/1478-4505-12-7.
- Ledikwe JH, Reason LL, Burnett SM, Busang L, Bodika S, Lebelonyane R, Ludick S, Matshediso E, Mawandia S, Mmelesi M, Sento B, Semo B. Establishing a health information workforce: Innovation for low and middle income countries. Hum Resour Health. 2013 Jul 18;11(1).
- Ledikwe JH, Kejelepula M, Maupo K, Sebetso S, Thekiso M, Smith M, Mbayi B, Houghton N, Thankane K, O’Malley G, Semo B. Evaluation of a well-established task-shifting initiative: the lay counselor cadre in Botswana. PLoS One. 2013 Apr 9;8(4):e61601. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0061601. Print 2013.
- Sharma A, Chiliade P, Reyes EM, Thomas KK, Collens SR, Morales JR. Building a sustainable organizational capacity to deliver HIV programs in resource-constrained settings: stakeholder perspectives. Glob Health Action. 2013;6:22571.
- O'Malley G, Marseille E, Weaver MR. Cost-effectiveness analyses of training: a manager's guide. Hum Resour Health. 2013 May 20;11(1):20. doi: 10.1186/1478-4491-11-20.
- Raja K, Chandrasekar C, Krishnarajasekhar OR, Manoharan G. Zero CD4 count: A case of discordant CD4 response in a patient with well suppressed viral load. Indian J Med Microbiol. 2013 Jul-Sep;31(3):298-302. doi: 10.4103/0255-0857.115658.
- Farsani TT, Kore S, Nadol P, Ramam M, Thierman S, Leslie K, Chandrasekar C, Sikhamani R, Manoharan G, Kubba A, Maurer T. Etiology and risk factors associated with a pruritic papular eruption in people living with HIV in India. J Int AIDS Soc. 2013 Sep 3;16(1):17325. doi: 10.7448/IAS.16.1.17325.
- Mahajan D, Ottilingam KR, Gurusamy M, Chokkalingam C. Barriers, facilitators and socio-demographic characteristics associated with condom usage amongst male HIV Integrated Counselling and Testing Centre attendees at the Government Hospital of Thoracic Medicine, and HIV tertiary care centre in Chennai. Ind J Community Health;2013;25(2):138-44.
- Solomon S, Balakrishnan P, Vignesh R, Waldrop G, Solomon SS, Murugavel KG, Kumarasamy N, Yepthomi T, Poongulali S, Swathirajan CR, Sreenivasan V, Chandrasekar C, Suriakumar J, Mahilmaran A, Manoharan G, Moore DA. A rapid and low-cost microscopic observation drug susceptibility assay for detecting TB and MDR-TB among individuals infected by HIV in South India. Indian J Med Microbiol. 2013 Apr-Jun;31(2):130-7. doi: 10.4103/0255-0857.115225.
- Haddad L, Cwiak C, Jamieson D, Feldacker C, Tweya H, Hosseinipour M, Hoffman I, Bryant AG, Stuart GS, Noah I, Mulundila L, Samala B, Mayne P, Phiri S. Contraceptive adherence among HIV-infected women in Malawi: a randomized controlled trial of the copper intrauterine device and depot medroxyprogesterone acetate. Contraception. 2013 Dec;88(6):737-43. doi: 10.1016/j.contraception.2013.08.006. Epub 2013 Aug 23.
- Tweya H, Feldacker C, Estill J, Jahn A, Ng’ambi W, Ben-Smith A, Keiser O. Bokosi M, Egger M, Speight C, Gumulira J, Phiri S. Are They Really Lost? “True” Status and Reasons for Treatment Discontinuation among HIV Infected Patients on Antiretroviral Therapy Considered Lost to Follow Up in Urban Malawi. PLoS One. 2013 Sept 26; 8(9):e75761. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0075761. eCollection 2013.
- Chimbwandira F, Mhango E, Makombe S, Midiani D, Mwansambo C, Njala J, Chirwa Z, Jahn A, Schouten E, Phelps B.R, Gieselman A, Holmes C, Maida A, Gupta S, Tippett Barr B.A, Modi S, Dale H, Aberle-Grasse J, Davis M, Bell D, Houston J. Impact of an Innovative Approach to Prevent Mother-to-Child Transmission of HIV-Malawi, July 2011-September 2012. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2013 Mar 1:62(8):148-51.
- Tweya H, Feldacker C, Phiri S, Ben-Smith A, Fenner L, Jahn A, Kalulu M, Weigel R, Kamba C, Banda R, Egger M, Keiser O. Comparison of treatment outcomes of new smear-positive pulmonary tuberculosis patients by HIV and antiretroviral status in a TB/HIV clinic, Malawi. PLoS One. 2013;8(2):e56248. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0056248. Epub 2013 Feb 15.
- Johnson D, Feldacker C, Tweya H, Phiri S, Hosseinipour M. Factors associated with timely initiation of antiretroviral treatment in two HIV clinics in Lilongwe, Malawi. Int J STD AIDS. 2013 Jan;24(1):42-9. doi: 10.1177/0956462412472312. Epub 2013 May 6.
- Tweya H, Feldacker C, Breeze E, Jahn A, Blake Haddad L, Ben-Smith A, Chaweza T and Phiri S. Incidence of Pregnancy Among Women Accessing Antiretroviral Therapy in Urban Malawi: A Retrospective Cohort Study. AIDS Behav. 2013 Feb; 17(2): 471-8. doi: 10.1007/s10461-012-0150-0.
- MacLachlan E et al. "Evaluating the Effectiveness of Patient Education and Empowerment to Improve Patient-Provider Interactions at ART Clinics in Namibia." International AIDS Society Conference. July 20-25, 2014, Melbourne, Australia.
- O'Malley G et al. “'If I Take My Medicine, I Will Be Strong': Evaluation of an Innovative Pediatric HIV Disclosure Intervention in Namibia." International AIDS Society Conference. July 20-25, 2014, Melbourne, Australia.
- CUGH. May 10-12, 2014, Washington, D.C.
- "Roll-out of universal antiretroviral therapy for HIV-infected pregnant and breastfeeding women ('Option B+') in Malawi: factors influencing retention in care." 7th IAS Conference on HIV Pathogenesis, Treatment and Prevention. June 3-July 3, 2013, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Consortium of Universities for Global Health (CUGH). March 14-16, 2013, Washington, D.C.