Publications and Presentations
Articles with Author or Co-author from I-TECH
- Miceli A, Sebuyira LM, Crozier I, Cooke M, Naikoba S, Omwangangye AP, Rayko-Farrar L, Ronald A, Tumwebaze M, Willis KS, Weaver MR. Advances in clinical education: a model for infectious disease training for mid-level practitioners in Uganda. Int J Infect Dis. 2012 Aug 17. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 22906682.
Advances in health professional education have been slow to materialize in many developing countries over the past half-century, contributing to a widening gap in quality of care compared to developed countries. Recent calls for reform in global health professional education have stressed, among other priorities, the need for approaches that strengthen clinical reasoning skills. While the development of these skills is critical to enhance health systems, little research has been carried out on the effectiveness of applying these strategies in the context of severe human resource shortages and complex disease presentations. Integrated Infectious Disease Capacity Building Evaluation (IDCAP) based at the Infectious Diseases Institute at Makerere University created a training program using current best practices in clinical education to support the development of complex reasoning skills among clinicians in rural Uganda. Over a period of 9 months, the program integrated classroom and clinic-based training approaches and measured indicators of success with particular reference to common infectious diseases. This article describes in detail the IDCAP approach to integrating advances in health professional education theory in the context of an overburdened, inadequately resourced primary health care system; results from the evaluation are expected in 2012.
Additional I-TECH Publications
- Marseille EA, Kevany S, Ahmed I, Feleke G, Graham B, Heller T, Kahn JG, Reyes M. Case management to improve adherence for HIV-infected patients receiving antiretroviral therapy in Ethiopia: A-micro costing study. Cost Effectiveness and Resource Allocation. 2011 Dec 20;9:18. doi:10.1186/1478-7547-9-18
- Weigel R, Hosseinipour MC, Feldacker C, Gareta D, Tweya H, Chiwoko J, Gumulira J, Kalulu M, Mofolo I, Kamanga E, Mwale G, Kadzakumanja A, Jere E, and Phiri S. Ensuring HIV-infected pregnant women start antiretroviral treatment: an operational cohort study from Lilongwe, Malawi. Tropical Medicine & International Health. 2012. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3156.2012.02980.x
- Matheson A, Baseman J, Wagner S, O’Malley G, Puttkammer H, Emmanuel E, Zamor G, Frédéric R, Coq NR, Lober W, Implementation and expansion of an electronic medical record for HIV care and treatment in Haiti: An assessment of system use and the impact of large-scale disruptions. Int J Med Inform. 2012;81(4):244–256. PMID: 22361158 [PubMed - in process].
Namagembe A, Ssekabira U, Weaver MR, Blum N, Burnett S, Dorsey G, Mpanga-Sebuyira L, Ojaku A, Schneider G, Willis K, Yeka A. Improved clinical and laboratory skills after team-based, malaria case management training of health professionals in Uganda. Malaria Journal. 2012 Feb 13; 11:44. doi:10.1186/1475-2875-11-44
Rao D, Feldman BJ, Fredericksen RJ, Crane PK, Simoni JM, Kitahata MM, Crane HM. A Structural Equation Model of HIV-Related Stigma, Depressive Symptoms, and Medication Adherence. AIDS Behav. Epub 2011 5 Mar; doi 10.1007/s10461-011-9915-0
- Schouten Erik J, Jahn Andreas, Midiani Dalitso, Makombe Simon D, Mnthambala Austin, Chirwa Zengani, et al. Prevention of mother-to-child transmission of HIV and the health-related Millennium Development Goals: time for a public health approach. Lancet 2011; 378: 282–84
- Burnett S, Weaver M, Mody-Pan P, Reynolds Thomas L, Mar C. Evaluation of an Intervention to Increase Human Immunodeficiency Virus Testing Among Youth in Manzini, Swaziland: A Randomized Control Trial. Journal of Adolescent Health; 48(5):507-13.
- Nartker A, Stevens L, Shumays A, Kalowela M, Kisimbo D, Potter K. Increasing health worker capacity through distance learning: a comprehensive review of programmes in Tanzania. Human Resources for Health, 2010, 8:30
- Brentlinger PE, Assan A, Mudender F, Ghee AE, Vallejo Torres J, Martinez Martinez P, et. al. Task shifting in Mozambique: cross-sectional evaluation of non-physician clinicians' performance in HIV/AIDS care. Human Resources for Health, 12 Oct 2010, 8:23
Shah SK, Nodell B, Montano SM, Behrens C, and Zunt JR. Clinical research and global health: Mentoring the next generation of health care students. Global Public Health. [Advance access published 14 July 2010 doi: 10.1080/17441692.2010.494248]
Dawson Rose C, Gutin SA, Reyes M. Adapting Positive Prevention Interventions for International Settings: Applying U.S. Evidence to Epidemics in Developing Countries. Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care. Vol. 22, No. 1, January/February 2011, 38-52 doi:10.1016/j.jana.2010.04.001
- Brentlinger PE, Torres JV, Martínez PM, Ghee A, Lujan J, Bastos R, Manuel R, Mudender FM, Assan A. Clinical Staging of HIV-Related Illness in Mozambique: Performance of Nonphysician Clinicians Based on Direct Observation of Clinical Care and Implications for Health Worker Training. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome. [Advance access published July 2010 doi 10.1097/QAD.0b013e32833b8be5]
- Ibrahim M. Lutalo, Gisela Schneider, Marcia R. Weaver, Jessica H. Oyugi, Lydia Mpanga Sebuyira, Richard Kaye, Frank Lule, Elizabeth Namagala, W. Michael Scheld, Keith P.W.J. McAdam and Merle A. Sande. Training needs assessment for clinicians at antiretroviral therapy clinics: evidence from a national survey in Uganda. Human Resources for Health 2009, 7:76
- Weaver M, Conover CJ, Proescholdbell RJ, Arno PS, Ang A, Uldall KK, Ettner S. Cost-effectiveness Analysis of Integrated Care for People with HIV, Chronic Mental Illness and Substance Abuse Disorders. Journal of Mental Health Policy and Economics. 2009; 12, 33-46
- Hiner CA, Mandel BG, Weaver MR, Bruce D, McLaughlin R, Anderson J. Effectiveness of a training-of-trainers model in a HIV counseling and testing program in the Caribbean Region. Human Resources for Health. 2009;7 :11
- Umaru Ssekabira, Hasifa Bukirwa, Heidi Hopkins, Allen Namagembe, Marcia R. Weaver, Lydia Mpanga Sebuyira, Linda Quick, Sarah Staedke, Adoke Yeka, Moses Kiggundu, Gisela Schneider, Keith McAdam, Fred Wabwire-Mangen, and Grant Dorsey. Improved Malaria Case Management after Integrated Team-based Training of Health Care Workers in Uganda. Am J Trop Med Hyg, Dec 2008; 79: 826-833
- Knebel E, Puttkammer N, Demes A, Devirois R, Prismy M, Developing a competency-based curriculum in HIV for nursing schools in Haiti. Human Resources for Health. 2008 Aug 29;6:17
- Weaver MR, Myaya M, Disasi K, Regoeng M, Matumo HN, Madisa M, Puttkammer N, Speilberg F, Kilmarx PH, Marrazzo JM. Routine HIV Testing in the Context of Syndromic Management of Sexually Transmitted Infections: Outcomes of the First Phase of a Training Program in Botswana. Sexually Transmitted Infections. 2008; 84(4):259-64
- Renggli V, De Ryck I, Jacob S, et al. Viewpoint: HIV education for health-care professionals in high prevalence countries: time to integrate a pre-service approach into training. Lancet. 2008; 372:341-43
- Harries AD, Jahn A, Zachariah R, Enarson D. Adapting the DOTS framework for tuberculosis control to the management of non-communicable diseases in sub-Saharan Africa. PLoS Medicine. 2008; 5(6):e124.
- Ssekabira U, Bukirwa H, Hopkins H, Namagembe A, Weaver MR, Sebuyira LM, Quick L, Staedke S, Yeka A, Kiggundu M, Schneider G, McAdam K, Wabwire-Mangen F, Dorsey G. Joint Uganda Malaria Training Program, Kampala, Uganda. Improved malaria case management after integrated team-based training of health care workers in Uganda. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2008 Dec;79(6):826-33.
- Makombe, SD, Jahn A, et al. A national survey of the impact of rapid scale-up of antiretroviral therapy on health-care workers in Malawi: effects on human resources and survival. Bulletin of the World Health Organization. 2007 Nov;85(11):851-57
- Brentlinger PE, Behrens CB, Kublin JG. Challenges in the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of malaria in human immunodeficiency virus infected adults in sub-Saharan Africa. Archives of Internal Medicine. 2007 Sep 24;167(17):1827-36
- Rajasekaran S, Jeyaseelan L, Vijila S, Gomathis C, Raja K. Predictors of failure of first-line antiretroviral therapy in HIV-infected adults: Indian experience. AIDS. 2007 Jul;21 Suppl 4:S47-53
- Brentlinger PE, Behrens CB, Micek MA. Challenges in the concurrent management of malaria and HIV in pregnancy in sub-Saharan Africa. Lancet Infect Dis. 2006 Feb;6(2):100-11
- Bateganya M, Hagopian A, Tavrow P, Luboga S, Barnhart S. Incentives and barriers to implementing national hospital standards in Uganda. International Journal for Quality in Health Care. Advance access published September 30, 2009 doi:10.1093/intqhc/mzp044
- Naik S, Suchi T, Lundgren L. Options for maintaining quality family planning counseling: strategies for refresher training. International Journal for Quality in Health Care. Advance access published January 31, 2010 doi:10.1093/intqhc/mzpo62
Abstracts/Correspondence with Author or Co-author from I-TECH
- Vitiello M, Willard S. Stating the obvious-nurses: critical link to women and children affected by HIV/AIDS: a response to the revised WHO HIV treatment guidelines. AIDS. 2010 July; 24(12):1967–1968. Advance access published July 2010 doi: 10.1097/QAD.0b013e32833b8be5
- Mentoring of Mentors: A Critical Component of the Clinical Mentoring Strategy in PMTCT in Mozambique. (PEPFAR Implementers' Meeting, Windhoek, Namibia, 10 June 2009). Authors: Chavane F, Chongo L, Porto F, Butler I, Freistadt F, Robertson M, De Jesus O, Hunguane E, Rodrigues C, Karajeans E
- Use of Film to Address HIV-related Stigma and Discrimination in the Namibian Military. (PEPFAR Implementers' Meeting, Windhoek, Namibia, 10 June 2009). Authors: Zackin L, Muvangua M, Wood S, Nghondela A, Asrat A, Furtwangler T.
- Virological Discordance in Patients on Antiretroviral Therapy (ART) with Immunological Failure in Government Hospital of Thoracic Medicine (GHTM), Tambaram: First Time Experience in Indian Government Programme. (PEPFAR Implementers' Meeting, Windhoek, Namibia, 10 June 2009). Authors: Ganesh Anusuyal, Rajasekaren Shikamani, Manoharan Gurusamy, Jyoti Somani, Raja Krishnaraj, Ezhil Radhakrishnan, Patrick Nadol.
- Virological Outcomes in HIV Infected Patients with Suspected Treatment Failure Based on Clinical or Immunological Criteria in Oshakati, Namibia. (PEPFAR Implementers' Meeting, Windhoek, Namibia, 10 June 2009). Authors: Mudiayi T, Mavhunga F, Manhando K, Mwodza K, Malunga M, Sikazwe M, Ilungu M, Hamta N.
- Programming for Sustainability: The iSanté HIV Electronic Medical Record System in Haiti. (PEPFAR Implementers' Meeting, Windhoek, Namibia, 10 June 2009). Authors: Patrice Joseph, Atwood Raphael, Edieu Louissaint, William Lober, Steve Wagner, Christina Quiles, Jean Solon Valles, Roges Lamothe, Perri Sutton, Rachel Labbé Coq.
- Standardizing Approach to Management of Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs). (PEPFAR Implementers' Meeting, Windhoek, Namibia, 10 June 2009). Authors: Dawit Endale, Fana Tefera, Getachew Feleke, Benti Geleta.
- Antiretroviral Therapy (ART) Scale-up Through Building Laboratory Capacity In Resource-Limited Settings. (PEPFAR Implementers' Meeting, Kampala, Uganda. June 3-7 2008) Authors: W. Mamo, T. Yohannes, A. Mulugeta, E. Seyoum, M. Abate, W. Haje, A. Haile-Selassie, G. Feleke, B. Tegbaru.
- Multiple Settings, Partners and Lifestyles among Women in Sex Work in Botswana. (PEPFAR Implementers' Meeting, Kigali, Rwanda. June 16-19 2007) Authors: Anjali Sharma, Gabrielle O'Malley, Selwana Fanyana, Florence Makgarapa, Pedzisani Motlhabane, Marion Carter.
- Addressing the "Demand" Side of Sex Work -- The Need for Male-Focused Interventions to Reduce the Spread of HIV/AIDS in Botswana. (PEPFAR Implementers' Meeting, Kigali, Rwanda. June 16-19 2007) Authors: Gabrielle O'Malley, Anjali Sharma, Selwana Fanyana, Florence Makgarapa, Pedzisani Motlhabane, Marion Carter.
- Participatory Formative Research in Development of Trigger Videos on Stigma and Discrimination in Health Care Settings in the Caribbean. (PEPFAR Implementers' Meeting, Kigali, Rwanda. June 16-19 2007) Authors: Stacey Lissit; Fiona Otway, Elaine Douglas; Terri Myrie.
- Employing ART Patients to Determine Outcomes of Their Peers at the ART Clinic of Felege Hiwot Referral Hospital in Amhara Region, Ethiopia. (PEPFAR Implementers' Meeting, Kigali, Rwanda. June 16-19 2007) Authors: Tewodros Woldetsadik, Salem Gugsa, Mehret Girma, Colin Shepard.
- Feasibility of Using Community Health Workers to Establish ART Patient Outcomes in Amhara Region, Ethiopia. (PEPFAR Implementers' Meeting, Kigali, Rwanda. June 16-19 2007) Authors: Salem Gugsa, Tezera Mekonnen, Tewodros Woldetsadik, Azene Dessie, Colin Shepard.
- Evaluation of Video Conferencing as a Methodology to Support Clinicians in Haiti. (PEPFAR Implementers' Meeting, Kigali, Rwanda. June 16-19 2007) Authors: Chris Behrens, Shay Bluemer, Emily Darby, Alan Gojdics, Robert Harrington, Nina Kim, Ann Kurth, Jeanne Marrazzo, Joey Merrifield, Nancy Puttkammer.
- Stigma Reduction and Support for HIV+ Health Workers: A Best Practice from Kilimanjaro Christian Medical Centre, Tanzania. (PEPFAR Implementers' Meeting, Kigali, Rwanda. June 16-19 2007) Authors: Justine Treadwell, Flavian Magari, Zawadieli Hilu, Tom Furtwangler.
- A Successful Collaborative Effort to Train Health Care Workers in PMTCT in the Caribbean. (Global Health Council, Washington, DC, May 29-June 1 2007) Authors: Virginia Gonzales, Bobbi Nodell, Elaine Douglas, Brendan Bain, Barbara McGaw, Bernadette Hamilton-Saunders.
- Filming Real HIV Patient Cases in India. (Global Health Council, Washington, DC, May 29-June 1 2007) Authors: Tom Furtwangler, Sikhamani Rajasekaran, Vijay Anthony Prabhu, Michele Clark, Gurusamy Manoharan.
- Strengthening support for HIV pre-service nursing education in resource-limited settings. (International Council of Nurses Conference, Durban, South Africa, June 27-July 4 2009). Authors: Jacob S, Portillo CJ, Goldman D, Winters D, Vitiello M, Konjore Y.
- Follow up evaluation of I-TECH Ethiopia’s HIV/ART Nurse Specialist Training: Effects on Nursing Roles and Responsibilities. (PEPFAR Implementers’ Meeting, Windhoek, Namibia, 2009). Authors: Petracca F, Gugsa, S, Mekonnen A, Mengiste D, Hamza A, Winters D, Vitiello M, Robi T, O’Malley G.
- The Role of HANS Nurse on ART Scale Up. (PEPFAR Implementers’ Meeting, Kampala, Uganda, 2008). Authors: Vitiello M, Mekonnen A, Mengiste D.
- Strengthening Pre-service Nursing Education in Resource-Poor Settings: Lessons Learned from HIV Faculty Development Training in Namibia.(Association for Nurses in AIDS Care Conference: Tucson, Arizona, 2008). Authors: Tembo M, Jacob S, Farley J, Haoses-Gorases, L.
- The CHART Nurses’ Working Group: Addressing HIV & AIDS Nursing Issues In the Caribbean. (Caribbean Nurses Association 25th Biennial Conference, Nassau, Bahamas, October 20-26 2006). Authors: Sealy, W. Jacob, S.
- Clinical Mentoring Experiences with Ethiopian Nurses. (International AIDS Society Conference, Toronto, Canada, 2006). Authors: Vitiello M, Winters D, Ouma G.
- I-TECH Nursing Workforce Development Initiatives: An Exemplar Case in Ethiopia. (Association for Nurses in AIDS Care Conference: Orlando, Florida November 18-20 2005). Authors: Portillo, CJ, Winters D, Vitiello M.
- Tanzania Distance Learning Assessment: Assessing the Use of Distance Learning to Train Health Care Workers in Tanzania. Report of Findings, March 2009. Authors: Anya Nartker, Alyson Shumays, Liz Stevens, Katy Potter, Martin Kalowela, Daniel Kisimbo, Agnes Kinemo, Jack Egan.
- Trinidad and Tobago Distance Learning Assessment. Final Report of Findings, September 2009. Authors: Anya Nartker, Shay Bluemer, Alana Lum Lock, Gail Deane.
- XVIII International AIDS Conference. International AIDS Society meeting in Vienna. July, 2010.
- XVII International AIDS Conference. International AIDS Society meeting in Mexico City. August 5-8, 2008.
- Global Partners in Public Health Informatics Conference. Envisioning Options for Integrated Public Health Information Systems for Low Resource Settings: Components, Connections, Partners, Strategies Global Partners in Public Health Informatics Conference, September 18-19, Seattle, WA.