Laboratory Management (Online)
This online course deals with the principles of laboratory management, including the importance and scope of the laws, policies and regulations that ensure quality medical laboratory practice in the US and internationally.
This course deals with the principles of laboratory management, including the importance and scope of the laws, policies and regulations that ensure quality medical laboratory practice in the US and internationally. Trainees gain knowledge in laboratory accreditation, impact of laboratory information on policy development, laboratory practice regulation and enforcement as it pertains to medical laboratory safety and operations, and financial systems in a laboratory.
Participants have the opportunity to compare and contrast US policies with those in their home country. After completing this course, participants will be able to advocate for improvements in their home-laboratory practices in accordance with national and international laws and policies.
Course Learning Objectives
Participants completing the course at the highest level of achievement should be able to:
- Summarize the importance of policy on laboratory practice
- Describe the policy development cycle
- Demonstrate how to develop policies related to laboratory data and operations
- List the responsible governmental agencies, laws, regulations, and policies that address medical laboratory practice globally and in the US
- Compare and contrast US laws, regulations and policies to those of their home country and identify areas in need of policy development
- Identify the processes and mechanisms by which clinical and public health laboratory practices are regulated and can remain compliant with national laws and regulations
- Analyze the importance of laboratory certification vs. accreditation and explain how laboratories can achieve accreditation by national and international organizations
- Explain the basics of financing management in a laboratory
- Describe basics of project management and the use of appropriate tools