Laboratory Leadership (Online)
This online course focuses on the practical leadership and management skills that are required for working effectively in a public health laboratory setting.
This online course focuses on the practical leadership and management skills that are required for working effectively in a public health laboratory setting. Participants develop a clear sense of their own strengths and weaknesses in management and leadership, and develop Individual Learning Plans for professional development.
In addition to self-assessment and reflection, students study topics and practice skills associated with building strong teams, supervising and delegating work, and managing conflict. Instructional methods include recorded lectures and self-paced online learning modules, self-assessment exercises, case studies, and group discussion via the course website. The goal of the course is to improve the quality of laboratory services delivered in participating countries by strengthening the leadership and management skills of program participants.
Course Learning Objectives
Participants completing the course at the highest level of achievement should be able to:
- Approach management challenges in laboratory settings with core knowledge of and skills in organizational management as a guide
- Pose meaningful questions about what constitutes effective laboratory leadership and management in different cultural conditions and organizational settings
- Make decisions that balance practical concerns with ethical, legal, and compliance considerations
- Use core principles and tools from human resources and financial management to address challenges and solve problems
- Translate insights from self-assessment into personal plans for improving leadership and management skills
- Identify and consult appropriate sources of data for making sound management decisions
- Align and motivate individuals, systems, and resources toward a common purpose
- Design and manage systems that are responsive to national and international laboratory requirements and demonstrate accountability to stakeholders
- Identify monitoring and evaluation methods that answer key questions about programmatic efficiency and effectiveness
- Use active participation in class discussion, activities, and assignments to form or refine a personal and professional value system